Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Beyond Boundaries (UK)

Yael David Cohen has two artworks, both to be  seen at High Five Art Gallery in Baarle Nassau

Escalator

 

Yael David Cohen

Great Britain

 

Quilt

Found transparant fabric, paint, ink

Summer scene

 

Yael David Cohen

Great Britain


Quilt

Found printed fabric, paint

 


 

Following the period of intense painting and printmaking in the beginning of my artistic career, for over thirty years now I have worked mainly with textiles since I feel this best suits my mode of expression. The use of textiles allows me to create a space whose dimensions I do not know when I start the work. I work without defined boundaries, cutting, tearing and sewing the textiles so that the size of the work is only determined on its completion. I work instinctively, responding to the textures and marks on the materials. I continue to display my works without frames, enabling them to appear without borders.

I use found textiles as the idea of recycling and reusing materials and giving them new leases of life is something I very much enjoy. I take great pleasure in hunting for different textiles which I then layer, mixing the opaque and the transparent to create depth and three dimensional effect. I work with a variety of media, drawing on the textiles with pencils, pastels, oil sticks and acrylic. I often print directly onto the material too. This process allows me to ‘excavate’ the layers of colour and form that belong to the textiles. The repetitive act of sewing serves as a form of meditation in contrast to the more spontaneous free expression of painting.


Text courtesy Helda Klouth https://www.highfiveart.nl 

pls check Yael David-Cohen, painter and printmaker working with textile and fibre (yaeldc.co.uk)

No comments:

Post a Comment