Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Beyond Boundaries (Belgium part 3)

Jette Clover has also work in both galleries
(High Five Art in Baarle Nassau and Galerie Zone in Leiden)

In other words

Jette Clover

Belgium

Collage

Cotton, screen-printed

 


 


Since the dawn of time mankind has been making marks yo communicate - from signs and symbols in early cave paintings to spray-painted messages on urban walls. I love living in the city with the haphazard layers of overlapping posers, faded advertisements, notes of missing pets and cryptic graffiti. Seeing the fragmented traces of text on the walls, makes me wonder about the traces I myself will be leaving behind and how they will be interpreted. 

I was a journalist before I became an artist so text and language continue to be my main source of inspiration. I like words, because of their graphic quality and because of their ability to convey meaning. I print and screen letters on fabric, and stitching has become a new way of writing for me. Stitching resembles the rhythm of writing with a pen - slow, intimate process during which one becomes aware of the marking of time. 

My work is collage constructions. I usually combine cotton, linen, cheese cloth and paper to which I apply a variety of surface design techniques, including dyeing, painting, discharge, printing, screening and rusting.

I could be painting with oil on canvas, but I like working in the textile medium, because of the tactile quality and because of its association with women’s work and history.

This piece can be seen in Baarle Nassau https://www.highfiveart.nl 

The below work is on show in Leiden https://www.galeriezone.nl

More info regarding Jette can be found on her website www.jetteclover.com 

Intimate Notes

Jette Clover

Belgium


No comments:

Post a Comment