Sunday, May 23, 2021

Beyond Boundaries (Germany)

Beatriz Schaaf-Giesser:
her work is represented in Baarle Nassau at High Five Art

Childhood

 

Beatriz Schaaf

Germany

 

Felt, digitally designed and printed fabric

 

https://beatriz-schaaf-giesser.de

https://www.highfiveart.nl

 

Felt is a handicraft that has been made over the last centuries in many countries and in a great variety. As a professional and teacher of this technique I develop possibilities of two and three dimensional felt objects. As a textile designer I aim to work with the surface design either on fabric or on the felt itself.

Many years ago I began to combine the skills I had developed in both areas and the process of felting was just perfect. Layers of prefelted wool combined with digitally designed and printed fabric will completely merge together after the felting process. This gave me the possibility of bringing strong photographic and graphic designs on to my feltwork. The themes: childhood, my parents’ emigration to Uruguay after the second world war, settle down and identity.

The old technique of felting combined with either modern printing or photographical exposures makes it possible that my artwork becomes a bearer of memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment